Monday, January 1, 2018

A New Day...A New Year - 2018!

1/1/2018

Working up to the New Year, stress increased, ideas came in and conscious eating seemed to go out the window…especially with Christmas in Jamaica’s all-inclusive resort.  As a holistic healthcare practitioner, I know all that it takes to be and stay healthy…but knowing it and actually being in the practice of it are two very different things.

While away, I took out a book that I started but hadn’t finished (as often happens) that had been given to me by a patient.  In that moment, as I looked at the title and re-read the title “The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are” by Brene Brown, I thought, “Is this a hint?”…”Am I a poser?” Did the patient that gave this to me think that or was it just a kind gesture? Maybe a bit of both…either way, I don’t care…in this moment, it inspired me and woke me up to my life: What am I doing? Who am I hiding from? Why am I not allowing my fullest self to be seen?

I began reading it again putting extra focus on the parts I had underlined on the first go-around and came upon a part where she said we all know a lot of things…we know what is healthy and not healthy and yet we have the sickest and most obese nation…and there it was…exactly what I feel.

Fast forward (passed the chocolate chip cookies, bread & pasta eating, a bloated belly and sinus congestion) to our road trip to Dayton, Ohio on December 30th to visit my in-laws where I read a post from an inspired college friend of mine, Carlyn who posted that on January 1, she was going to start the Whole30.  I thought to myself…I need that too!

I have to admit, my first response after knowing that I need to do Whole30 was to pretend like I didn’t see the post and pretend like I don’t know what I know…so I can just go on eating whatever I want whenever I want with nothing/nobody dictating what I should do.  Isn’t it funny how our brain messes with us! WTF is that?!!  I am so far from feeling my best and why would I NOT want to feel that sooner than later!?!  I am SO READY for my physical body to match all the work I’ve done spiritually and emotionally. I am ready to truly step into the KNOWING of my self worth…

My mantra for 2018 – I AM EMPOWERED FEELING IGNITED!

I decided I would claim it right there and then…I was going to do Whole30.  Then I thought, I think I know what Whole30 is but I better see what I just got myself into…so I googled the cliff notes version of it and quickly decided that it was a NEED at this point not even a WANT.  I posted to claim it on Carlyn’s page…invited my office and husband to join me. 

I am clear that now is the time to stand in my power, get vulnerable and just let myself be seen…that at the very least it will hold me accountable to ME…maybe for the first time in my life…and maybe along the way inspire a few folks.

To affirm this further…on the way home from Ohio, Darrell (my husband) and I listened to Howard Stern’s Best of 2017 interviews.  We had a fortunate opportunity to hear U2’s Bono & The Edge interviewed. The history of the band, their humble nature and story of their success grabbed my attention. They began discussing their new album inspired by Bono having a health scare.  He felt that he was facing the end of his life and began writing the songs for their album to all the people he loves. He said, The album isn’t dreadful and about death but actually it turned out to be quite joyful and inspiring (he hopes). I like to think of it as choosing to live more fully and in the moment when in the face of death. He said, I think we preach and teach what we, ourselves need to hear the most...Yes. This was followed by him singing this song:

“Get out of your own way.”  

…Get out of your own way,
Get out of your own way

I could sing it to you all night, all night
If I could I’d make it alright, alright
Nothing’s stopping you except what’s inside
I can help you, but it’s your fight, your fight

Fight back
Don’t take it lyin’ down, you got to bite back…

…Get out of your own way…

So I leave you with that. What will you do in 2018 to get out of your own way? To honor yourself just a little bit more? I…will start Whole30 tomorrow. Here is a link to the cliff notes version I found on Whole30…see if it is for you and if so, share your progress, ideas, recipes and challenges. I will be.


Until next time…


Dr. Cari J.
www.beoptimal.com

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Awesome, Rosemary! I'll be here to cheer you on and give you ideas!!

      Delete